The Tech Repository Forums  

Go Back   The Tech Repository Forums > The Tech Repository > Guides and Articles
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 23rd, 2006, 07:23 AM   #1
Tony
Old Jedi master

DFI AM2 Infinity Series: Setup/Tweaking Guides

DFI as we now have made some truly awesome over clocking motherboards over the past 3 yrs. Focusing mainly where the enthusiast wanted they have made what are arguably the best AMD CPU over clocking boards you can buy.
As AMD moved to embrace DDR2 DFI were prompt to release a new Lanparty motherboard catering to the enthusiast community, what few know though is the Infinity line also has some tricks to show.

DFI have stripped down packaging and contents and focused on motherboard design with the Infinity line. For the price conscious this means you get awesome over clocking on a budget.

Moving from 939 CPU's which used DDR1 to AM2 940 which uses DDR2 many users may get a little confused. People get used to what they know so moving to a new memory interface causes all sorts of issues with set up on the boards. I will try and show here some simple rules to follow and explain a few options to make setting up these boards quick and easy.
As usual with my setup and tweak guides i will just focus on memory tweaking and over clocking. Sound etc are to users own choice and as long as you read the manual setup is usually hassle free for these items.

One major point to remember is that AM2 will often under clock memory dependent on the CPU multiplier used, 800 mode may be setting 720 and 667 may set closer to 600. Playing with CPU multipliers can get ram speeds back to where they should be if needed although this depends on which CPU you are using.

Also remember memory controller speed is totally independent to CPU clock speed. Running 300HTT X10 in 400 mode would give exactly the same memory performance as running 200HTT X 15 if the resultant memory speed was the same. You do NOT need to run low CPU multipliers and high HTT speeds like some did on 939 with AM2. You just need to be aware of the final memory bus speed and optimize it for best performance.

Memory timings

I will cover the bulk of timings per board starting with the CFX3200 -M2/G. If I do not quote a timing its because I have found no need to adjust it away from auto settings. This does not mean these timings will not help more extreme over clocking though. For this guide I push the boards and memory to moderate levels which are totally safe for 24/7 usage and always fall within manufacturers warranty.

Please remember I work for OCZ Technology, as such I quote and use OCZ memory for my testing. My timings though are good with most brands although IC's used on modules do differ and perform differently.

OCZ has always closely supported DFI and for the following guide 2GB Dual Channel Kit P/N - OCZ2P800LP2GK was used. This is a DFI special part rated at 1T 800 MHZ. I often though will deviate from OCZ specs as fine tuning can often yield even better performance or equal performance with different timings but lower voltages. I will advise on micron based parts along side the DFI part.

Final point here is that I do NOT promise you will hit the same timings and clocks I achieve, this is a guide not a defacto spec for your system.

The 1T Vs 2T debate with DDR2 For me very high memory speed is often not needed. AM2 thrives on low latency and this can be achieved 2 ways. Thru the use of the 1T command or by running very high memory speeds 2T. I prefer the 1T option as it often produces less heat and requires less voltage.

IT/2T memory timing Like I said I prefer 1T

CAS3 @ DDR800 needs lots of voltage on most dimms at this time. I find CAS4 to be a good trade off as well as CAS5 as long as the 1T command is used. For the bulk of memory I use CAS4.

TRCD With the OCZ DFI 1T part I use 4 here, Micron based parts can run 3 in some circumstances but may need a slight increase in voltage to be stable.

TRP 3 or 4 for 1T use, at around 800 3 should be usuable.

TRAS This should be tuned by setting the highest value that gives the best bandwidth. If 5 thru 12 give the same results set 12 so ensuring memory pages are open long enough to be fully read.

TRC I set 11, again though this is aggressive and should be tuned along side TRAS. A high TRC can help high memory over clocking but is has a weird effect on TRAS often making it look like it works opposite to what is the norm (IE lower number = higher performance). For around DDR800 1T 11 should be ok.

TRFC dimm 1 thru 4 all at AUTO

TwTr lower for more performance, 1 is VERY aggressive though with usually only Micron based dimms being able to run. I set 2 or 3 here.

Twr this is one of the most important settings. Lower for more performance, higher will help very high overclocks, I set 3 if possible at 800 with 1T.

Trtp Auto
Trrd Auto

DRAM Extra strength (drive) Auto or 1. 1 usually better for 1T clocking.

All other options are really best left at Auto from here, DFI have done a good job of tuning the board to give nice clocks without the need for any further fine tuning.

Moving to the Genie Bios main page

Remember if over clocking its usually better to disable cool n quiet.

CPU FSB ratio, this is actually the CPU multiplier
CPU'n'NB Bus ratio is the HT multiplier, just remember to keep the HTT X This ratio around 1000

CPU clock setting is the HTT, goes from 200 to 500

Dram Clock (limit) setting 400 thru 800 mode, remember sometimes the clock is not exact. DFI have done a good job of actually showing you the dram speed.

PCIE speed, used for PCIE bus overclocking, see what your video cards can handle.

CPU voltage...set what it needs and no more, small bumps overstock usually gain 15 to 20HTT.

Dram voltage 1.8 thru 2.5, I try to stay at 1.8 thru 2.2V. remember cool the dimms with a fan to help look after them. For the 800 1T part I set 2V

HT Voltage setting can help with HT speeds over 1000

Core voltage setting is the Northbridge core voltage, this again can help HT over clocking and PCIE over clocking.

Moving to Advanced chipset/PCIE configuration

The main options to watch here are:

The Slot power limits, for big video cards and overclocking you will have to increase this. I often set 120 with x1800's

TXClk Gating set to enable.

P2P Writes between GFX1/2 set enable for crossfire or SLI with a hacked driver

Lastly 10% extra current can add stability to over clocked video cards and the chipsets, it will create more heat though.
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote