The successor to the highly successful D975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2) will be DX38BT (Bone Trail). Be aware that Penryn/Wolfdale/Yorkfield requires VRM 11.1 specification support; this means that EVERYONE
(unless you are smart enough to know how to mod your board yourself...
)will need to buy a new motherboard to support 45nm CPUs from Intel. This could be a simple revision refresh (as we saw when Conroe was released in June 2006) or an entirely new model based on the next-generation Intel 3-series chipsets.
DX38BT Product Highlights:
- Based on the next-generation X38 Express chipset (MCH)
- Intel Duo/Quad/Extreme (dual and quad) Core support at up to 1333MHz FSB, dual channel DDR2/DDR3 memory support with Fast Memory Access technology
- Intel ICH9 southbridge, 12 USB ports, supporting up to 6 additional PCI Express 1.1(a) lanes [physics card upgrade support], GBit LAN
- 2x PCI Express 2.0 16x ports (backwards compatable with PCI Express 1.1 specification), Crossfire is supported
- 6x SATA 3.0GB/s ports, Intel Maxtrix Storage Technology (RAID)
- Intel High Definition (HD) Technology
- Full overclocking/overvoltage options via BIOS and NEW Windows GUI utility for overclocking, including auto-tune capabilities